Saturday, December 13, 2008

no thanks, i don't drink

I had a *delightful day at work today. *There was a sarcastic emphasis on the word delightful...

There are only three of us on the line on Saturdays because normally they tend to be a little slow. Today was no exception. It's Saturday, and it was snowing like crazy (and customers don't come in when it snows... my guess, abominable snow-monster. See below:



I wouldn't come in either.)

So here is the story of my day (Mojo, that's me, and two girls on the teller line)...

"F!" ~Roy Corsi (former math teacher at my high school who would say that when you asked a question):
Girl one finds out she might fail a class because she didn't do well on the final. Let's just say that tears were flowing and sobs could be heard, even after she went into a private area. Girl two, having been best friends with girl one for many-a-year consoles her for about 10 minutes. A gesture of love and consideration that I'm not angry about, but it does leave one person to take care of everyone.

"Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?" ~Better of Dead:
Since the snow started to blizzard AFTER we opened, the plowing people didn't come that morning. After we had been open about 3 hours, customers who travailed the gruesome trail and evaded the bumble (see above -- oh come on! I have to quote Rudolf. It's Christmas) told us that our walks were ridiculously slippery. Well, it's not really my job, but I went out and shoveled anyway. It was fun. I didn't have a coat, but it felt nice. I like the cold.

I wasn't really mad about that, but it was a pain. We didn't have any salt (we have a company that comes and does this for us regularly) so I got the little I had in my car for emergencies and spread it out. Though still, not my job.

{
Rex Banner
: (Grabbing Ned Flanders) Are you the Beer Baron?
Ned Flanders: Well, if you're talking about root beer, then I'm guilt-diddily-ilty as char-diddily-arged.
Rex Banner: (to other cops) He's not the Beer Baron, but he sounds drunk; take him in
}:
The night prior, girl two did some drinking... and by some, I mean a lot. She said that she nearly blacked out... yeah... *awesome. (again, sarcasm) Well today at work, as we were all standing next to each other, she stops, starts to look pale, and proceeds to "hork her beans." (Number 131 on a list of 339 synonyms for throwing up) After taking a small break to clean herself up, work went on as usual. Although when she fainted in the vault, we thought that maybe this hang over was little too much for her.

I carried her down into the basement and put her on the couch, got her some water and gave her my cell and told her to call upstairs if she needed anything. Girl one consoles... Mojo left alone on the line again.

So all in all, a great day. I was the only one there today who was not a drinker or at one point in their lives was a drinker. The only perspective on alcohol that I have is from my time in Russia (you'll have to ask me about it. Guys passed out in their own vomit, urine and blood from falling down cement stairs. *So cool -- are you getting a better grasp on my sarcasm?)

It just makes me so glad that I have a structure in my life that gives me standards that keep me from having such problems. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't go on killing rampages (except zombies)... I'm just glad that because I made that choice a long time ago, I don't have to worry about it. It feels good.

No comments: