Saturday, December 6, 2008

happy home-owners

Today was spent helping my sister and her husband of 4ish months move into their new house. It was a very interesting day because of what the new house means to both her family and to my parents. You see, this was the house that my mother grew up in.

One of the coolest things that happened was directly related to a conversation that my sister and I were having. She continually told me that she didn't know how long it would take until it was "her house," and not "Grandma's house."

As we continued carrying, unboxing, sorting, cleaning (I did a fair job of cleaning with Frances. Let's just say there may have been canned food that had eaten through the cans then started its work going through the shelves) and other such activities, we started to relax and put up Christmas decorations. As we sat, we realized that we now were sitting in "Sallee's house," not "Grandma's house."

It made me thankful for memories: old memories of grandma and grandpa, their spoiled food, questionable BB gun holes in the windows, etc. but I think more importantly, new memories. Sallee and Nathan are so lucky and so scared to own such a great home.




They shouldn't fear though. There is a mother-in-law apartment in the basement that Frances has already claimed as her own.

No comments: