Wednesday, February 4, 2009

russkiys and card sharks

We've been having fun with our Russian visitors. I've had my phone
with me since Sunday night, always expecting a phone call from
neighbors and friends, asking if I can help with a translation. I
even appended my phone's answering machine message to have, in
Russian, "If you need a translator, please leave a message and I'll
call you back in a few minutes." Fun times.

I think that I have forgotten how different this culture is. They are
so funny. Instantly walking into the house, they asked if they could
have some house shoes. I told them not to worry about it because we
don't normally take off our shoes in a house here, but they insisted
that they CANNOT walk around the house in the same shoes that are
"dirty from walking on the street."

It has been fun having them around though. But holy hannah, my
Russian grammar is awful! I keep catching myself saying things that I
KNOW are not right, but I just spit them out like a bowl of cereal
with 2-week-spoiled milk. (Nice and chunky) I should practice more,
but I don't really have a lot of time (or opportunity) to do that.

So Natalie came over tonight, toured the RFC and met the russkiys.
Sergei (18) blushed way beyond the Soviet flag's crimson red. We all
pointed it out to him, and he got even worse. She and I had a good
time. Let's just point out the awesomeness of the evening:

Kung Pow Shrimp & Lemon Chicken - Both coming from the resturant where
they normally say, "We thought that was you on the phone."
Checkers (a version called "Russian Checkers" that I'm sure does NOT
derive from Russia)
California Speed
Five Crowns
Mojo crying like a baby when he got WORKED at each of the events.
(Including the shrimp)
Delilah crying because she was locked in the bathroom all night (and
because I was crying)

Oh yeah. Totally awesome.

No comments: