Thursday, October 15, 2009

it's completely linux based...

For those of you who have never seen Criminal Minds, it's a show about FBI agents who get called into areas to help solve crimes. There was one episode I watched once where the main computer-wiz was out and someone had to take over her job for a little while. The new tech said after a shocked look on his face, and I quote:

"It's completely Linux-based!"

Okay. I'm a computer geek. That is not being refuted. But to be completely honest, that would be like me walking into a bakery and saying, "Wow. This cake is made from flour!"

Yes Linux isn't that well advertised in the "land of the norms" (non geeks) but still...

To get to my story, I've been wanting to create a computer recently with a good coax input running a linux operating system. My reasoning? I can take an old computer, put a fairly lean OS on it, and use it as a cheap DVR. It's not like I couldn't just get one from the cable company, but it's more about the adventure.

That was a few months ago. I never got around to doing it. I've had two torn apart computers sitting in my room since the beginning of summer with the full intention of doing said project. Many months later... time to get rid of the mess.

I took the computers to my local BestBuy and said my last goodbyes. I figure, if I really want to do it in the future, I can always find an old computer. There' no real need to keep them lying around in the off chance that I DO have time work on it.

That being said, with Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6) now installed on my computer, my virtual machine program no longer worked so I lost my Virtual Windows machine. I got a new program, and reinstalled Windows... and Ubuntu (Linux)... and Mythbuntu (A branch of Ubuntu with DVR programs installed). Yeah. Might as well mess with them before I start building a machine...

Baby steps...

No comments: