Thursday, July 23, 2009

fast food nation

Today was an all-day-work-fest. I spent the whole day in my little workspace, talking to people, getting frustrated by that intolerable "ding" noise that comes from the drivethru, and best of all, talking about restaurants and food that we wanted to eat.

We really did expect the day to be hilariously insane busy (I'm trying that "hilariously" thing out. Is it working?) and were not so thrilled to find how painfully slow it was. I mean, come on! The day before a holiday, although be it a Utah state holiday, when we have to close is usually so busy you want to vomit with rage. But not today. I was working drivethru (...Yay...) so I had
about twice as much work as those who were around me, so I felt busy, but we were slow. Well, to make a long story not quite as long but still substantial, when it gets slow, we like to start talking about random topics. The goal today? Get the other people to change their mind about what food they want for lunch.

Now that might get a little confusing. I can tell. I'm confused. But really, we all wanted something different, and the goal of the before-lunch hours was to convince someone else that they wanted the same food as you so that someone else could go pick up your food. Here is a little hint of our discussion/debate:

Wendy's: JBC, Frosty
McDonnald's: Fries, McDouble
Little Ceasars: Peperoni Pizza
Costa Vida: Burritos
Cafe Rio: "Better" Burritos
Chipotle: Free Drink with Burrito (Employee name tag required)
Costa Vida revisited: Also free drink with Burrito (University of Utah ID required)
Apple Pie from wherever
McDonnald's revisited: Apple pie
Top Stop: Hostess Apple Pie
Apple Pie from wherever (Probably Dan's Food) revisited
Barbacoa: Burrito (More a discussion about the restaurant. No one really wanted food from there)
Costa Vida revisited: Salad

Salad won. Although the battle had been won, the war was a terrible loss. It seemed that I was the only person that wanted to eat from there. After so much talk, everyone else just seemed to want to eat "the lunch they brought from home." Lame. So I went by myself. Got a steak salad with a cherry coke, and was on my way to lunchtime bliss and euphoria.



No comments: