Monday, February 1, 2010

goodbye week 3 hello week 4

With school going on, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of excitement going on in my life. In fact, it's all been pretty boring. I rarely have time to really get out and play, and when I finally get some time, I feel too stretched thin to even WANT to go and do fun things. Yikes. And yes, the picture above IS my calendar from last week...

School this week was a little rough. I had 4 assignments and a test this week and honestly, I don't know how I'm still alive. The classes that I've been taking this semester are funny because half of them are pretty hard, and the other half look and act easy until right before a test or assignment.

I was feeling frustrated with my Biology class this week too. This is the one that the teacher sent out an email saying, "If you are not a Pre Med or Physical Therapy, etc, don't take this class." Well, sadly I don't have much choice. I'm taking the class and there is nothing you (nor I) can do about it!

We had a test on the first two chapters of the book. I was really excited about this teacher because of how she spoke the first day of class about not wanting us to just regurgitate information. She really wants us to learn. I have a lot of respect for teachers who understand that, but her test did NOT reflect that.

First of all, she had the test as the final 30 minutes of class (a two hour class mind you) after a lecture with new information. I thought that was just a crewel joke. Yes, it does weed out those who just cram before the test. What she fails to realize is how LOW LEVEL her questions are for wanting us to really learn. "Define xyz…" WHAT?!?! So after a long lecture with new information, you expect us to remember definitions? THAT is not good teaching… it's called being vindictive.

Luckily, all my classes made the assignments and test due last week, so this week is going to be a breeze. Thanks for all the great planning university! But with a week with only 1.5 assignments due, it does give me time to play "get ahead"… or "catch up" in some places…

Oh, funny conversation I overheard this week:

Girl1: Hey! How are you and Ed?
Girl2: Ed? Ed who?
Girl1: Oh. Aren't you married to Ed?
Girl2: Sorry, no.
--At this point, anyone would move off the subject--
Girl1: Are you sure?
Girl2: --pause-- yeah.
Girl1: Who are you married to then?
Girl2: --pause-- John
Girl1: --pause-- Oh.

Girl2 Leaves

Girl1: I'm pretty sure she's married to Ed.

No comments: